Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Kindergarten aka How Did We Get Here Already?!

Yesterday we went to the school to find out who Afton's teacher would be, where his classroom was located, and who was in his class. He, and I, was happy to find that he is in Mrs. Ruelas' (I had heard very good things about her) class and that two of his best buddies, Sultan and Brody, were in his class. Hooray!!!



Today was Afton's first day of Kindergarten. (Deep breath) 
He looks so handsome and grown up. I especially love his pose.




He set his alarm clock, and woke up on his own. I was surprised at how smoothly the morning went, no slow breakfast eating, no complaining about brushing his teeth. We even made it to school at the time I had hoped (7:40) and were able to find decent parking! Afton dropped off his backpack at his classroom and followed the footprints to the play ground. He spotted his friends and was off. I hung back and chatted with the other moms and waited until the bell rang.



\


They all sat down on the curb and waited for the teacher to lead them into the classroom. They were so cute and patient waiting for their day to begin.






Once inside, they were given name tags and were asked to gather at the front of class. Once all the kids were seated, Mrs. Ruelas had the kids wave bye to all the parents that were huddled in the back, snapping pictures. So away we went.




As I got into the car to drive home, I got a little teary-eyed. This is the beginning of a decade plus adventure. I can't believe we are already here. Seems like just yesterday I was giving birth to this cute lil, round-headed boy. Oh, how the time doth fly! When I arrived to pick him up, he was all smiles. He exclaimed, "I had so much fun today! I love kindergarten!" It's looking like kindergarten is going to be stellar.



As we chatted about how his day went, his "girlfriend" Nina, who he went to preschool with for 2 years, came running up. These two are ridiculously cute and silly. Afton informed me that he found Nina during recess so they could play, and also spotted her at the cafeteria. I'm hopeful they will stay close friends, even if they aren't in the same class.



Here's to a wonderful and learning-filled school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!