Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Arizona: First Leg

At the end of July, the kids and I took a trip to Arizona to visit family. Nippon was in the middle of a product release at work, so sadly he wasn't able to go with us. 


I made the kids play and get their wiggles out before the long drive.


We stopped in Yuma for lunch. 
Rowan "smiling."


Getting closer! We took a much needed break at The Thing? and decided to pay the $1 to check it out. Of course I have been several times, but Afton was very curious. 

What is it, you ask? It's one of those amazing little American roadside attractions, located off of I-10. The guy at the counter said there were 247 billboards lining the interstate between El Paso and Tucson! Once inside the large metal door, you follow large footprints toward the first of three (small) buildings. I'd have pictures if Afton hadn't run right on through it. Apparently he isn't fond of Hilter's Rolls-Royce or a display of torture devices. BUT he really liked this weathered tree root creature in the next building.
And I liked his pose.


And finally!!!! In the last building, The Thing?....


A mummified mother and child, with woven Chinese conical hat keeping her modest.
Is it real?
Afton says yes. 


Rowan wasn't too interested in mummies or dusty antiques. She liked looking at the kachinas hanging on the walls and rocking in this wheelchair looking rocking chair. 


After we exited the attraction, I let the kids pick out a souvenir. Rowan would not let go of a silly glowing soccer ball (ugh) but Afton decided on a scorpion entombed in clear resin. Sweet!


Almost there!!!


And we made it! Hooray for family!!! Now, go directly to Casa Manana.


And let's top this post off with a picture of my dad wearing his lovely Kanye sunglasses that I just so happen to find at The Thing. My dad rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!