Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Arizona and the Ratha Yathra

Mid-July we made a quick trip to Arizona for my brother Tyler's impromptu wedding in Safford. I didn't get any pictures of it sadly, but Nippon took a video and I am trying to figure out how to post it or at least grab some still shots from it. I'm so happy for Cindy and Tyler, and excited to have another niece, Keely!

After the wedding we headed up to Chandler to see more family and attend the Ratha Yathra held by the Hindu Temple of Arizona in Scottsdale. It was HOT! Have I mentioned how much Arizona heat destroys my soul? Haha! San Diego has made me weak (right Chelsea?).  It was still fun though and Afton really enjoyed learning about his Indian heritage the best way possible, by getting involved.



Here is Maa and Afton in front of the ratha (chariot) that carries the deity Jagannath, his brother Balabhadra, and sister Subhadra. They built a new chariot for this years Ratha Yathra.



There was Odissi dancing...







And other dancing....





And music (insert pictures of tablas and harmonium that weren't taken)....


For some reason (I'm going to blame the ghastly heat) a bunch of my pictures didn't turn out well. The focus was off, or they were just plain blurry. I shall include them anyway.


Rowan loved watching everyone and listening to the music.
Afton had to plug his ears for most of it.






Back at the house Afton had fun playing "Jai Jai" and getting Nippon and Tikon involved too. Here they are posing; Afton as Jagannath, Nippon as Subhatra (she doesn't have arms), and Tikon as Balabhatra. The picture below was added for reference.


Jagannath with Subhadra and Balaram (right to left)



We HAD to go swimming, even if the water wasn't much cooler than the air around it. I have to admit though, I do miss those Arizona sunsets.




1 comment:

  1. Hilarious. I don't blame you for acclimating to the beautiful CA weather. I would forget all about AZ if I lived where you do:)

    ReplyDelete

Yes, I'd love your two cents!