Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The One Year Old

So I realized (probably a month ago) that I never posted Rowan's year old update. So since she is napping and Afton is not demanding attention, I shall actually write a post on it! Hooray!

At her one year doctor appointment...

Weight: 17lb 7oz (when we went back a week later she was at 18lbs 6oz)
Height: 27 1/4"

Her iron levels were still low after months of taking iron, so we were ordered to go have her blood drawn again. When we went back to find out the results she was diagnosed with Beta Thalassemia Minor. I had been telling the pediatrician since her blood iron levels came up low, that this was probably the case. It's a hereditary iron deficiency that Nippon has, as well as his mom and sister. There isn't anything that needs to be done. The only information I was told is that she shouldn't go to high elevations. I guess there is no climbing Mt. Everest. Shucks!

She was also diagnosed with asthma and was put on prednisolone, a steroid to stop inflammation. It had awful side effects. She was cranky, wobbly on her feet, and slept terribly. Luckily we only had to do it for 5 days and it did help reduce her crackly, wheezy breathing. Now she uses an inhaler as needed. We have to go back and find out if she needs a controlling medication, but I'm dragging my feet on that one because I don't want her to have to take it. I've been monitoring how often she needs her rescue inhaler and making a mother- educated decision on whether she needs it or not. So far she has been fine with just the inhaler. Fingers crossed. We are sick of going to the doctor!

Rowan is such a sassy lil girl. She loves to dance, play peek-a-boo, and play with anything "pretty." She is constantly wearing necklaces, carrying her purse, and putting on her sparkly shoes. It's so fun watching her play with her brother. You can see how delighted she is that she is now able to walk and join in on activities now (for the most part). One of her favorite things is reading. She seems to always want me to read to her, and likes to sit and open and close her books. Rowan is really good at mimicking words. It's crazy which words she hears that she decides to say. She's my lil parrot. The words she does say with understanding are dada, mimi (for mom), Banban (for Banyan the cat), eat, bye-bye, and hi. I'm stopped everywhere we go by people commenting on how cute she is. I have to agree. She is my pretty girl. I love her so! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!