Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Aarti Paarti

I was fortunate to meet a wonderful lady named Kavita when I worked in the social work field in Arizona. This lovely lady has an amazing sister, you might recognize. Aarti Sequiera is not only a great chef, she is a great storyteller as well. I picked up her cookbook a couple of months ago, and fell in love with the recipes but even more so because it is a history of her life and how it, and the generations before her, have molder her into who she is. Food being the main theme of course.



I have only made two recipes from the book, but I have read it through a few times. 

This is her "Mom's Everyday Red Lentils." I had never made dal before, or cooked lentils for that matter. The recipe was easy to follow, and turned out flavorful and delicious. Nippon, who isn't a fan of dal, even ate the leftovers!



I have made kheema many times but her recipe, that calls for peas and apple cider vinegar, was phenomenal. I will never again leave out the apple cider! It rounds out the flavors and give it that extra layer that makes this kheema much better than my usual recipe.



If you like Indian food, or if you just like mixing things up, I hightly recommend purchasing this cookbook. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!