Saturday, May 3, 2014

Grandma C's and More Dress Up

Back in March, when I visited Safford, I went to see my Grandma Clawson. I don't know why I didn't get any pictures with, or of, her. I was probably having too much fun! I'm certain of it. I feel like I never have enough time there. I definitely need more than an afternoon to hear all the stories, see all the treasures (Sue Blake is my mom so I must use the word treasures), and enjoy all the sights (park, putt-putt coarse, upstairs (nuff said), backyard view of the pond, or hiking "down below"). Anyway, here are the few pictures I took. They are mostly dress up silliness, which is almost compulsory when visiting grandma.


I spent a good amount of time looking at items tucked inside this curio. It is full of my grandfather's things. There are American Indian relics, an old rusty barb wire that came from the Berlin Wall, coins from around the world, and lots of WWII items. This is a Japanese teacup, with lid and saucer, found by my grandfather on Iwo Jima during the war. They were the first American soldiers to come on land after the bomb was dropped.



This is a coat that my grandfather purchased for my grandmother back in the day. She didn't actually say when, but my mom saw a picture of my grandma wearing this jacket standing in front of their old house. The house my mom grew up in. This means, at the latest, he gave it to her in the 80s. I'm pretty sure it was earlier than that though. She told me that he purchased it at Peebles Department Store on Main Street. I tried searching to see if I could find out when it was there, but found only that they expanded from the east coast in the 70s. The collar is real fur. I almost fell over when she told me that I could have it!



Whilst talking with my grandma about how she always looks so beautiful, and wears the cutest clothes, she laughed and reminded me that she has been wearing the same outfits for decades! This is quite true, save a few additions here and there. The dress she had worn to church that day, was the same dress she wore to my Aunt Lisa's wedding (over 20 years ago). She then beckoned me past the vibrating weight loss machine, and into her closet to prove it. She still had shoes that I remember putting on when I was a kid! There was a pair of black velvet high heels, with a diamond buckle, that I always loved. I found this dress she bought while in Germany, and I just had to put it on! Please take note of all the awesomeness in the background, and the carpet.




My niece Adyson.
She looks just like her daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!