Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mount Graham

Another fun thing we did during the summer was an over-nighter, with my brother-in-law Tikon, at the Rath's cabin on Mount Graham. It is the mountain I grew up going to, and is just outside of Safford. Growing up we would frequent the apple orchard (the best apples evah!), go on picnics (usually with a bucket of KFC), fish at Riggs Lake (not too many fish caught but still fun), play in the snow (of course we always had to make snow ice cream), and camp (which in my dad's mind meant using my grandparents motor home). I know Nippon spent much of his youth there too. They at least had a cabin to go to. Actually, I was lucky enough to have a best friend who's grandma (Grammy) had a cabin at Turkey Flat too. It was always a treat to be invited to stay there.


Anyway....We had lots of fun on the mountain this time too. Afton found lots of bugs, I found lots of pretty flowers. Nippon and Tikon played around with their swords, knives, and axes. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of all that manly fun, shucks! Afton and I went on a short hike around the other cabins, waving to all the kids there and listening for birds. Afton got good and dirty too, which is what you're suppose to do on the mountains. He even found time for some coloring. We ate some yummy food and roasted marshmallows. I think I was the only one who enjoyed that part, even Afton didn't really care for the gooey goodness. He did enjoy the fire though. He fell asleep in my arms watching it crackle and glow. He very rarely falls asleep in my arms, so it was nice to snuggle with him next to the fire.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love your two cents!